Sex during pregnancy can be an awkward and scary time, especially for first-time parents. There is no reason for fear since it is not only safe to have pregnant sex, but it can feel even better than before. During pregnancy, there is increased blood flow to a woman’s pelvic area, increasing sensitivity and making the already good even better! If you want to make the most of your sex life while waiting for the new arrival, try these 10 mind-blowing positions:
- Oral sex. Okay, this is not technically a position, but it is good to know that there is no reason at all to stop enjoying oral sex. There is a danger of an embolism if your partner blows air into your vagina, but there no dangers otherwise.
- Propped missionary. Do you simply love the missionary position? Many pregnant women think this position is forbidden because they are not supposed to be flat on their backs. You can still enjoy missionary sex as long as you prop yourself up with a few pillows. Just lean back into the softness and enjoy!
- Spooning. A long time favorite position for cuddling, this is also one of the most comfortable sexual positions during pregnancy. Lie on your left side to keep all pressure off of your stomach and let your partner experiment with angles until you find the magic combination.
- In a chair. Although it may sound a bit odd, many pregnant women swear by this old standby. To enjoy it, simply sit on the edge of a comfortable chair, lean back, and let your partner kneel in front of you. Once you try it, you are sure to be a fan.
- On top. This position is a favorite of many who aren’t pregnant and it can be even better during pregnancy since it keeps the belly out of the way.
- Reverse cowgirl. All of the benefits of being on top, but with a delicious new angle. In this position, you are facing your partner’s feet and have full control over the speed and angle of the movements.
- Scissors. To enjoy this position, lie on your left side and entwine your legs with your partner’s. This position limits movement by both parties, making the penetration much slower and gentler. Because of this, it is one of the most highly recommended sexual positions for women in all stages of pregnancy.
- Bed edge. This was on of Dr. Ruth’s favorite recommendations. In this position, you lie on the edge of the bed with your partner standing next to the bed. For maximum comfort, prop your back slightly with a few pillows.
- The policeman. This delicious position gets its name because it seems like you are getting a pat down. Stand facing the wall with your legs spread and palms or elbows on the wall while your partner does the rest.
- Leap frog. Feel like getting a little more creative? Kneel on the bed, keeping all the weight off your stomach, and allow your partner to experiment with a variety of positions and angles until you find the one that is just right.
About the Author: Donna Moody is one of the pregnancy advisers for YouMayBeNext.com. She uses her experiences as a mother, teacher, and woman to help others get through their pregnancy successfully.